Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ready, Set, Blog!

Here we go!  I am officially diving into the blogging world!  I love reading blogs, and hope that you will enjoy reading my blog, too.  One of the things I hope to accomplish by writing this blog is to keep my healthy lifestyle on track.  I try to make a point to be active every single day, but... sometimes things don't go quite according to plan!  I also try to maintain a healthy diet while allowing myself a few indulgences (can you say CHOCOLATE!) here and there.  Of course, like everything else in life, being healthy is a balance of good choices sprinkled with a few treats :)

So, here is my plan for staying active tomorrow.  I am so very lucky to have Fridays off while I teach during the summer.  This means that I will be able to workout at my absolute favorite time of day tomorrow - mid-morning! I love waking up early, eating breakfast, lounging in my jamies for an hour, maybe reading a little, and then getting out there for a nice run/bike ride/yoga class.  Typically these days are reserved for the rare weekend day that I am not insanely busy or working at my second job.  But oh, summer how I love thee!  I get to work out mid-morning at least once a week in the summer!  The only downside to my late start is that it is supposed to be 100 degrees F tomorrow.  Luckily, I happen to love hot weather!  I think I am the only person in New England who is not complaining about this insane heat wave have been having.  Still, it is very important to be safe when exercising outdoors in extreme heat.  Here are the precautions I plan to take:

1. Distance - While I love doing a nice 4-5 mile run on my days off, this distance might not be in the cards for me on a day of extreme heat.  I'll need to take down my mileage and probably stick with a good 5k (3.1mi), and be willing to do even less if necessary.

2. Pace -  Running in extreme heat is not a day for me to try and run my fastest loop to date.  I will run slowly (stick to a 10 min mile) and take walking breaks if necessary.

3. Hydrate - I think it's safe to say that I will be sweating just a tad during my run tomorrow morning.  The risk of becoming dehydrated is even higher in extreme heat.  I will be diligent about sipping water and coconut water throughout the morning before I embark on my run.  Ever tried coconut water?  You should!  Coconut water is not only delicious, but it is a fantastic NATURAL source of electrolytes, potassium, and many other essential vitamins. [source]

and most importantly...
4. Listen to my Body! - My body will tell me if I am overheating.  It will let me know if I need to walk, reduce my mileage, reduce my pace, rehydrate, or simply call it quits if running in the heat becomes unsafe.


What is your favorite time of day to work out?  What precautions do you take when exercising in extreme heat?

No comments:

Post a Comment