Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Travel Tuesdays: Yosemite National Park - Part II


So when I left you last Tuesday, we had just finished a packed day of hiking the Panorama Trail.  When we woke up the next morning we were all super sore!  I hadn't expected my muscles to feel as tight as they did, but it goes to show how using your muscles in a different way can really have a dramatic impact.  We somehow loosened up and headed out for a beautiful drive back to Yosemite.  This time, we drove ourselves through the park to a location near Glacier Point to do a 3 mile hike to Taft Point.

Taft Point
When we arrived at the trail head, we found a sign saying that the trail was covered in snow and therefore dangerous to navigate.  We were a little apprehensive, but decided to forge onward.  Luckily, we ran into a few people who were just coming back from the hike who told us that it wasn't too bad and to follow the footprints and we should be all set.  We were relieved and continued on with gusto.


We hiked through a bit of snow, wondering if the view from Taft would be worth it.  Afterall, we had seen some pretty spectacular views on our trip already, so how much better could this be?  The answer is, WAY better!  Honestly, it is the most amazing view I have ever seen, and by far the highlight of the entire trip.  If you ever go to Yosemite National Park, go to Taft Point!  I only wish the pictures could do it justice...






Disclaimer: Taft Point is NOT for the acrophobic!  None of us are particularly afraid of heights, and we were all shakin in our hiking boots!  Ronnie wouldn't even let go of the guardrail, and decided he was safer sitting down to capture this picture:

I, for one, am glad he played it safe.  I was a little nervous seeing my hubby so close to a 4,000ft drop!

Mariposa Grove
After we took about a million pictures trying to capture the gorgeous view, we hiked back to the car and drove to Mariposa Grove.  Mariposa Grove is a forest of giant sequoia trees. One word: WOW!  I had never seen sequoias before, but I figured I had a good idea of what they would look like.  Once again, Yosemite proved to be even more beautiful than I ever could have imagined.  The giant sequoias were another breathtaking site at Yosemite National Park.


We sort of made up our own route through the forest, but I would estimate we hiked about 4 miles and saw nature at its most beautiful:


 





I love trees.  Yes, that makes me sound like a huge nerd, but I really love trees.  They are so beautiful, and some of my favorite pictures I've ever taken have been of unique trees I see in nature.  We even have two pictures of eucalyptus trees I took in Maui hanging in our dining room, but that's another post for another Travel Tuesday!  Anyway, the gorgeous sequoia trees of Mariposa Grove did not disappoint!

Yosemite National Park was an incredible trip.  It completely surpassed my expectations, and will go down as one of the most amazing destinations I've ever seen.  If you love nature and love to hike like my family and I do, you will love this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment